The day was spent listening to vintage blues tracks on my iTunes radio. Finally, some good bluesy rock tracks. For those of you with iTunes, its ElectricBlues Radio.

So basically, it put me in the mood to just forget about everything and listen. Kick back in my chair and chill. And I kinda began thinking about the previous article i posted. How very true, those words. Talent is just a word. Its more of the burning desire and passion for doing what you love that makes you reach your goals.

To me, talent is just like potential. Potential is, and will always remain an unfulfilled quality. You can say someone has great potential in a sport or occupation, but if he/she does not fulfill that potential, then doesnt the word "potential" just denouce itself?

Being a guitarist, I had always felt as though I wasnt good eough as compared to others. The self confidence was masked. I've seen many guitarists my age who play great riffs and have accomplished several things with their musical ability. All i did was sit back and watch, constatly dreaming of playing like how they do, constantly wanting to be better than them. That was just part of it.

Whenever I see a professional guitarist perform, for example Paul Ponnudurai, the immediate reaction is "How on earth am I ever going to be like him?" or "Do I have what it takes to be just a fraction of him?"

Having an idol is one thing, reaching their level of playing is another. I never had a guitar teacher, just like many others, and I certainly feel that on your own, there is only so much you can do. Good guitar teachers are really hard to find nowadays just like Mike Phillipov said.

Julian [band leader] and I were talking about the issue of musical growth and we felt that with our abilities [the band] at present, our music will become stagnant. There was a need for us to improve ourselves. Maybe go for lessons or courses or workshops. Though it isnt an immediate need, it would be really beneficial. More towards being exposed to a varied spectrum of music styles.

So really, the question is, if time and schedule permit, how passionate are you about doing what you love, not just music?

There are most commonly two reactions that most people give when failure lands at their feet.

1) Give up and think that you've reached your limit.

OR

2) Continue to work hard and prove people wrong.

All too often I've been gravitating towards reaction No. 1. That was about three to four years back. Nowadays, I seem to try harder. Trying to push myself further, one step at a time, and i suppose its the best way to overcome failure and enjoy success. After failing my Sec 3 exams, it made me wonder if I could really be a good student.

I made to the National Under-15 soccer team but I couldnt reach the same heights with my studies. The drive and passion just wasnt there. My teacher's comments were always, "Augustine is a samrt boy, but he needs to put in more effort in his school work etc etc etc."

Not until my second year in Sec 3 did I manage to instill some tangible self belief. I did well and graduated with good results that got me to where I am. This was because I had good teachers who somehow managed to prove that I was in fact capable of doing well.

The point I'm trying to put across is that, sometimes when you're on you're own and you make mistakes or find yourself at an obstacale which you cant overcome, it can be pretty damaging to your self confidence. That is why good teachers are so important. They show you that you can do it and make you believe in yourself.

But that only works if you have set your goals and are driven and passionate about achieving them.

Popular posts from this blog